Monday, December 26, 2011

Marque, Surry Hills

There are some birthday traditions I don't care too much for. Present-giving in my opinion, is the biggest pain in the butt. We all tell ourselves it's the thought that counts, but if it was between hand-drawing a picture of someone as a hobbit because they loved Lord of the Rings or buying them a set of the four movies on DVD, I don't think I'd be splitting hairs over the better option to pick. 
Plus, I don't like to give anyone anything I wouldn't like myself. The problem with this is that I like maximum utility. I once requested a stack of correction tapes one birthday and gave someone a sandwich for theirs (digestible is usable, right?). 


I also love food. So there is one tradition I do love. Every year my lovely sister and I have a bi-annual birthday dinner date where we spend a few hours chit-chatting in pretty dresses, over delicious picture-perfect food that feature in my shameless gratuitous photo-taking at the table, not to mention in front of fancy bathroom mirrors. 

This year for her 24th birthday I chose Marque, a 3-hat veteran nurtured by Mark Best, located on Crown St in Surry Hills. Last year we went to Becasse & Sepia, we'd already been to Bilson's, she'd been to est. and this year I had to match Quay because she had taken me there for my 20th. Luckily though, it was an excellent decision because the food was delicious & absolutely unique. Quay left me with a bit more of the wow factor but the inspired creations & impeccable service at Marque similarly sets it up for a foodie experience not easily forgotten.

Marque only offers a 9-course degustation for $150. This may seem limited, but it really is the best way to enjoy such artful preparation of ingredients over which you can spend hours getting your deep & meaningful on. That said, of the degustations I've had (12 & I'm pretty smug about that actually ;)), this one was relatively less substantial. So a manly appetite may not be completely satiated but you will definitely have achieved sensory satisfaction by the end of the night. 

Amuse boucheFoie gras with Apple & Cinnamon
Rich yet light and refreshing. This only added to my endless love for foie gras. 


 1: Almond Jelly with Blue Swimmer Crab, Almond Gazpacho, Sweet Corn & Avruga
Loved this wibbly wobbly thing too. It's not obvious but it's packed full of amazing flavours. 

2: Kingfish with Fermented Vegetables, Sprouts & Goats Curd

3: White Asparagus with Leek, Oyster, Pork Dashi & Lemon Balm
It looks like a magical forest! You can't not like vegetables when they are perfectly cooked like this.  

Bread: Sourdough, Rye & Caraway
The bread came in the middle of the degustation which was different. We love our bread & felt free to eat more as we were pre-warned of the small portions.

4: Bass Grouper with Polenta, Buddha's Hands, Witlof & Vadouvan
This was nice but not the best, and my sister found the pureed Buddha's hand to be slightly too bitter/citrusy (it's a funny-looking citrus fruit). 

5: Muscovy Duck , Green Strawberries, Beer and Fennel
It was a beautiful piece of duck. Not too fatty. Just perfect. Not heavy like a lot of duck dishes can be, the flavours were so good together. 

6: Blackmore Grain Fed Wagyu with Beef Tendon, Wasabi and Spring Peas
This looks like and essentially was just a really thin slice of wagyu. It wasn't substantial but definitely satisfying because it was rich and so meltingly soft and flavoursome - I loved it! Those green blobs are all hand-picked peas, by the way. And I imagine, done so with tender-loving care. 
We noticed that the waiter referred to this as a 'fillet', pronounced as 'fil-ey'. For anyone who still says 'fi-let' (like me), according to the French waiter it is indeed 'fil-ey'. I just don't want you to look like a fool next time you order a fiLEY o' fish as a filet o' fish. 

Pre-Dessert: Sauternes Custard
I've had this custard before at one of the Taste festivals. It has the most perfect wobbly texture of custard I've eaten. The Sauternes wine gives it a grown-up complex taste that makes it really special. This was one of my favourites. 

Dessert: "Tomberries" with Chocolate Jelly & Creme Fraiche
Sounds pretty weird doesn't it? What's weirder - it had cherry tomatoes in it. What's weirder than that? I still loved it. But was kind of left yearning for something a little more... awesome. 

Petit Fours & Cappuccino
 
...which is why getting Petit fours makes me super happy. 
Taking someone who likes to eat out for a lovely dinner ticks all the right boxes. 
1) It's thoughtful: I thought you might be hungry for something freaking delicious. 
2) Expensive: Money = love. Kidding. 
3) You get to spend quality time together. 
4) Just another excuse for yourself, to eat an extravagant meal, if you ever needed one. 


Happy birthday Jenny, I love you lots and lots and lots :D  

No comments:

Post a Comment